For those of you who are interested in such things I thought it might be worthwhile to list a variety of facts about me. Some true, some not so much.
- I write short stories and novels
- I won first place in the third quarter of the Writers of the Future Contest (2009) for my short story ‘Digital Rights‘
- I have story reprints available on Amazon, iTunes, Kobo, and the Nook
- I am a game design consultant with Empire Avenue, the Social Stock Market
- The most recent game I played was Emissary of War
- My first writing sale was an article on role-playing with different languages in Dragon Magazine.
- Videogames I helped make during my ten years at BioWare: Baldur’s Gate 2, Neverwinter Nights (plus expansion packs), Jade Empire, and Dragon Age. I did not work on Knights of the Old Republic or Mass Effect or MDK2. And BioWare did not make the Dark Alliance games, Planescape, or the Icewind Dale series.
- I have written three novels (plus two others written during college, but I pretend those don’t exist)
- The stand I used to use to hold Dungeons and Dragons books open to transcribe stats into creatures while doing data entry for Baldur’s Gate 2 is now what I use to prop up the iPad when doing rewrites for my novel (the iPad has the annotated version of my drafts)
- I was actually paid, in real money to transcribe Dungeons and Dragons stats. Something I used to do for free throughout high school
- I am amused by strange things
- Father to two wacky kids
- I have a computing science degree from the University of Alberta. Oddly I have never had a programming job though the technical skills I learned are very beneficial in my game design career.
- My most recent release is the non-fiction book: Lazy Designer, Starting a Career in Game Design.
POSSIBLY TRUE FACTS
- My career goals were to become a paranormal researcher (this triggered by some strange occurrences in my youth). Also: I liked the X-Files
- I once tamed a unicorn
- I enjoy fishing
- Piloted an airplane on a couple occasions
- I am building a robot army in my spare time
- For years I ran a small shareware company producing writing software
- I am a brilliant chef
- Was once a member of a specialized branch of the Canadian Armed Forces
- Very skilled at herding cats
Wow… that was an amazingly complicated effort on my part to avoid finishing novel revisions for the day…