Things You Might Not Know
For those of you who are interested in such things I thought it might be worthwhile to list a variety of facts about me. Some true, some not so much.
- I write short stories and novels
- I won first place in the third quarter of the Writers of the Future Contest (2009) for my short story ‘Digital Rights‘
- I have story reprints available on Amazon, iTunes, Kobo, and the Nook
- I am a game design consultant with Empire Avenue, the Social Stock Market
- The most recent game I played was Emissary of War
- My first writing sale was an article on role-playing with different languages in Dragon Magazine.
- Videogames I helped make during my ten years at BioWare: Baldur’s Gate 2, Neverwinter Nights (plus expansion packs), Jade Empire, and Dragon Age. I did not work on Knights of the Old Republic or Mass Effect or MDK2. And BioWare did not make the Dark Alliance games, Planescape, or the Icewind Dale series.
- I have written three novels (plus two others written during college, but I pretend those don’t exist)
- The stand I used to use to hold Dungeons and Dragons books open to transcribe stats into creatures while doing data entry for Baldur’s Gate 2 is now what I use to prop up the iPad when doing rewrites for my novel (the iPad has the annotated version of my drafts)
- I was actually paid, in real money to transcribe Dungeons and Dragons stats. Something I used to do for free throughout high school
- I am amused by strange things
- Father to two wacky kids
- I have a computing science degree from the University of Alberta. Oddly I have never had a programming job though the technical skills I learned are very beneficial in my game design career.
- My most recent release is the non-fiction book: Lazy Designer, Starting a Career in Game Design.
POSSIBLY TRUE FACTS
- My career goals were to become a paranormal researcher (this triggered by some strange occurrences in my youth). Also: I liked the X-Files
- I once tamed a unicorn
- I enjoy fishing
- Piloted an airplane on a couple occasions
- I am building a robot army in my spare time
- For years I ran a small shareware company producing writing software
- I am a brilliant chef
- Was once a member of a specialized branch of the Canadian Armed Forces
- Very skilled at herding cats
Wow… that was an amazingly complicated effort on my part to avoid finishing novel revisions for the day…
Wasn’t that specialized branch of the Canadian Armed Forces some odd reserves where you only had to do something every 6 months or so?
Yep, the Rangers. Suppose to be a search and rescue unit but it was never really active back home (though in other communities it is). I was in it for a few years but didn’t really do anything and eventually had to turn in my rifle.
Where is the unicorn now?
That information is classified. Sorry.