There is nothing writing or game design related in this post. Just saying.
As the cook/mealplanner/shopper for the house I’m trying to make my time spent doing these things a bit more efficient. To that end I’d like to use my iPad and iPod touch to help manage the dozens of recipes I have scattered across various cookbooks.
(Yeah I’m a techno geek and I’m looking for an excuse to mess around with the devices more. But I think there’s the potential for this to save me time in the long term. Maybe.)
Anyways what I want is the following:
- Ability to add my own recipes. I like Epicurious but you can’t add your own meals, which is kind of important given the food allergies in our home, most of our meals are custom.
- Shopping Lists. Automatic shopping lists would be useful. But I also need to be able to add my own items to the list.
- Meal Planning. Some way of grouping meals into weekly meal plans. Meals would be able to appear in multiple meal plans.
- Cook with the iPad. Well organized ingredient/instructions system for displaying recipe information while cooking is essential.
- Shop with the iPod Touch. There’s no way I’m taking the iPad with me shopping but I would bring the iPod Touch. A way to sync shopping lists between the two devices would be awesome.
- Export. I don’t mind spend some money for a program but I’ve learned that few companies last for long and there’s a good chance in the future I might not be able to access the recipes in the program. So its essential that there’s an export feature to an open file format… even to plain text would be fine, just so I know that all the data entry I have to do to add my recipes won’t be lost.
The closest I’ve seen is the Paprika App. It has most of the features I need and the category system it uses could do a crude approximation of meal planning but it still lacks iPod Touch sync and an export feature. And it is expensive, for an app, though probably worth the ten bucks if it had all the features I’m asking for.